Saturday, August 20, 2011

Swap with my favorite bear artist, Joanne Livingston

Joanne Livingston (Desertmountainbear) is one of the famous award winning bear artist based in US. She has been making dolls and bears since 1980's. Joanne's creations has always been an inspiration to me since the first day I have become a bear artist. I love her realistic and cute bears, they fit into the category of my liking.

Joanne's has a blog too, sometimes she would share tips on bear making and this also encourage artists to try out new techniques and challenges. One of the thing that admire about her is her positive attitude and daring to try out new things. When you have time, I would highly recommend her blog as I am sure you will learn from her as much as I do.

Last year November we have agreed to do a swap this year, I am excited. Both of us set an agreement to make a monkey and a bear as our swap. Joanne has given me encouragement and asked me to try something different that I have never done before - Needle felting a face (something that i wanted to try for this year). I took up this challenge.

In the process of felting, i poked my fingers several times (causes numbness), broke a few felting needles but it was fun! No pains, no gains. Most of the time, I refer to animal pictures from the internet when crafting the animals, even though most of the time they appears to be different, I am happy that they have a touch of Wayneston feel and look ^.^

I have shared in the previous post of the WIP of the monkey. Many hours has spent on the face, i enjoy it and I will be making more in the future.

This is Yarnell, specially created by Joanne. He has sleepy eyes!

Her fur is hand dyed mohair

Her muzzle and brows are needle felted and rooted with mohair

Caspian, my first Wayneston Monkey with needle felted face

His body and head is a new design

He has wired armature legs too, he can bend his legs
♥ Message to Joanne ♥
Thank you so much for agreeing to the swap, I will treasure Yarnell. He looks happy with my bears & dolls =)
Your encouragement is the source of my motivation, thank you for being a great mentor. I will strive to become a great artist ^.^

8 comments:

  1. I love them both and am envious!! Wonderful swap by two lovely people!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderfull Baer, in like it. I love your Works but i hope i can see your Kreaturen live.
    Best wishes from germany
    -- Dirk ---
    www.dbears.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh thank you Wayne. I will treasure my Caspian always. And you are always and inspiration to me too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aww, they're both gorgeous creations

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you so much for the lovely comments. New squirrel coming up soon! ^.^

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh, the most important thing from this friendship is appreciation! what a wonderful swap.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Caspian ist wundervoll geworden.
    Liebe Grüße
    Heike

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for writing me a comment! Have a great day! =)